September 5, 2006
I found some time this weekend to play, so I got a picture out of my sketchbook and got ready to paint. Not wanting to waste any of the limited time I had re-pencilling the sketch onto watercolor paper, I decided to use my copy machine to transfer the sketch.
The machine made noises it had never made before as it strained to pull the 140 pound piece of watercolor paper thru itself… but I say, “if it doesn’t kill ya, it will make you stronger” …so I believe my copy machine is a better copy machine because of this experience.
It seems copier ink is dry and powdery and it did not really fuse to the paper surface very well. As I painted it came off and mixed into the color creating… well… mud. Fortunately, I paint with gouache and the power of gouache came thru in the clutch once again. I just increased the amount of paint I was using and opaquely painted right over the top of the mud.